Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Optional Tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

hahsia

Programmer
May 15, 2003
SG
Hi,

I'm quite new to Accpac so i'm hoping for some wise advice from everybody here.

I heard about optional tables & optional fields available in Accpac, could anyone briefly explain how to use it?

My client wanted to maintain an Item Desccription that is different for different customer. Any idea if i could use the optional table/ field facilities for this?

I'm using Accpac Advantage Series 5.2.
Thanks In Advance.

Not sure what you are trying to do. But it seems that you would like to have a different descriptions for a some customers. But it is actually the same part. Hope I am right. If so,

1. Create a price list for all the customers that need different descriptions.
2. Copy the item pricing
3. Change the description for the price list you created.
4. Assign this price list to the customers that need it.

I don't think you want to use the optional fields, b/c then you need to mofify Crystal Reports to print conditionally the optional field if it is Customer X or Y.

Carlos
(310) 384-8511

Hi Carlos,

You a right.
Actually my user wanted to have an extended Item Description module where they can input Customer Item Description.

e.g

Item Code = A1011
Desc = Accer Notebook

For Customer A, the Item Description should be Accer Notebook ABC but to Customer B, it should be Accer Notebook DEF.

These customer Item description must be printed in their DO/Invoice not much on Internal Report as the item is still known as just Accer Notebook to my customer.

That is why i thought i could make use of the optional tables to create item & Customer relationship. As one item code can be sold to many customer. So this new table will have item code, customer code & description, with item code & customer code as the primary key. Not sure if this is possible in Accpac.

Please Advice...
Thanks In Advance.

Using Accpac's optional tables in this way would be very difficult. The CSOPT table only has one key available, and you're talking about two keys.

If you want to see a great product to do this, go to and look at Field Extender. My clients love it.

Jay Converse
IT Director
Systemlink, Inc.

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the recomendation. I will highlight this to my Accpac consultant.

But i'm still hoping somebody could briefly explain to me how to use optional table & fields in Accpac.

Please Advice.
Thanks In Advance.

It's real simple. All you do is set up the optional table in Common Services with a name and some values. Then go to the module's setup screen, and attach that table to the field that you want. Make sure the length that you set in the optional table is the same as the length of the optional field.

Jay Converse
IT Director
Systemlink, Inc.

I repeat: All you need to do for your purposes is:

1. Create a price list for all the customers that need different descriptions.
2. Copy the item pricing
3. Change the description for the price list you created.
4. Assign this price list to the customers that need it.

But I am lost then? I am still not sure what you are trying to accomplish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back