Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Option11 RSM Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlk53

Technical User
Mar 22, 2005
US
I have an option 11 with a PMS attached thru an RMS Module. After a power surge, the links stopped working. I have changed out the RSM module but the links still are down, both to SL1 and to PMS. I have re-booted everything. Questions:
Is there a way to test the RSM card?
Does anyone have a PMS emulation program or point me to one.
Anyone have any ideas what I should do next?
As usual, any help is appreciated.

Usually, just a reboot of the Mail system sorts it out.

I've found some notes below.

Universal Link Monitor (TOOLS menu) can be used to monitor MMail messages.

ENL MSGI/MSGO in LD 37 will monitor M1 messages (with USER=BUG)

Both RS 232 links Mail-PMS & mail-M1 run at 1200,8,n,1

Link tests can be done from Mail console/Mail GAC in Hospitality system Menu

Extns should have CCSA in CLS (for activating/deactivating) restrictions on room phones

#####################################################

PMS611system messages showing on tty and PMS not updating rooms following a powercut and subsequent ini

Disable the TTY, out TTY, and then rebuild the TTY.
Patch 18751 rls 25.40/B, 03.00

######################################################

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Thanks, I have tried all of that and both links are down. The common denominator is the mmail card. Could that be bad. I changed it but...?

TTY ports are enabled. Still both links down. On the TTY port that has PMS on, if I do a Maid update for a room, would I see that come to a PC with hyperterm on. At least I could prove the TTY port. Any suggestions on testing the RSM card. MM says it is "in service". I've re-booted number of time but same result.

Yes, you will. it will dispaly the current status of the room.

RMST code in FFC for example *8.

From the room, or any phone with CCSA, you can press *8X (X being the room status number 1 - 7) Each of the status messages are listed in the Hospitality Book.

You will then see the print out if the TTY is a BGD port and you have turned on Room Status messages. They just don't appear, you have to tell the TTY to display them.

I don't have my Hospitality NTP, but there is a section for Room Status from a Telephone and will show you the command.

RSM modules are notoriously fickle.
Does the MM answer when you dial mail #?
I would replace RSM breakout as they go bad often.

I would agree that the RSM is somewhat unreliable, but it should not stop the operation of the mail as such.... thats the AML.

The thing here that I think should be done, and has been suggested is the Universal Link Monitor.

At minimum you will see the heartbeat from the PABX, and if lucky, see the reply.Thats the PABX Mail link proved.

Remember as well, that when changing the RSM, POWER the mail DOWN. And dont forget the bypass switch......

Thanks for the input. In answer to your questions, yes Mail is working and if you call the mail number, it answers ok. Hospitality Status tells me both links are down and MM is online. It was a "supposedly"new RSM module that I just put in and fromwhat you are saying, it could have been bad. Is there any way to test a RSM card.

To actually test the RSM.... none that I know of. It really functions as a bridging point.

There is a switch on the RSM that is supposed to isolate the mail and effectively give you a through connection from the FOS to the PBX. You could throw that and see if there is a data flow. Not guaranteed though.

Not sure how your PMS tells you that both links are down yet the mail is up..... maybe its the way I read the reply.

You still do not say that you have been in the link monitor. Is there a problem accessing this???????

As another thought provoker..... the rs232 cables generally terminate on a distribution frame ( at least here anyway) then the cross connect happens to the cable that goes to the PMS. Is it possible that if this is the case in your installation that there has been some frame work done and jumpers / cables disturbed?

Update, used link monitor and nothing is getting to mm from pbx. Also nothing getting to mm from pms. Have ordered another rsm module to replace the refurb. one that appears to have come defective. It is supposed to arrive next Tues or Wed . Will advise as to outcome. Thanks to everyone for all suggestions

Guys, I really need your help. Here is the update.
Put in a new re-fub RSM card(2nd one, original was fried by lightning). Followed proper procedures, powered MM down et5c.
Put laptop on TTY PMS port and saw data as I made changes in PBX.
Link monitor shows any changes I made in PBX being sent to MM and then on to PMS(no response from PMS)
Hospitality status shows both links down. Every once in a while link from MM to SL1 turns to OK, then to "transmit link is down" then back to down.
If I put my laptop on the PMS side of the RSM, should I see the data when I make PBX change----I don't see anything.
I don't believe that it is the RSM module as the last 2 both have acted the same.
Questions:
MM is the common denominator for both links being down. Could I have a faulty MM card(all other MM functions work except RSM ones).
Could I have corrupt MM database associated with RSM module. Setting are 1-2-4 PMS 1200/none--1-2-3 PMS 1200/none. RSM shows in-service even when I remove the RSM module. Strange.
PBX is older version(25.40) so no support available.
PLEASE HELP

Just checked and I do not have patch 18751 in the PBX and it is running 25.40b. I cannot locate this patch. Can anyone help?

Found the patch. did not help

Update: it was the "new" processor card. I found another processor, installed it, and both links came up and all is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back