Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Option buttons on a Form

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrzejek

Programmer
Jan 10, 2006
US
Very basic question about GUI:

Is it correct to have option (radio) buttons on a Form without any of them being selected?

pizza1.gif

Have fun.

---- Andy

It is OK, although not usual. You do it when you force the user to decide and choose an option without giving any default choice.

Note that when no option is selected, the 'Pizza Price' field shall be empty because you don't know the size in advance. Moreover, in some cases, you would like to keep the 'Close' button disabled, unless a choice is made (making it impossible for the user to go forward without making a choice).

I'm not even convinced that price should be a separate TextBox.

Adding the prices to the Option captions makes the Form even better from the user's point of view.

The image is 'borrowed' from some other site, I just wanted to show the sample of option buttons. Please ignore the price.

I asked this question because I have noticed that if no option is selected by default, when program is run (sometimes, not always) one of the option is selected anyway (by OS?). I even have some programs where for years all options were not selected, but recently some 'got' defaults and are selected now - no change to the code.

Have fun.

---- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back