Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Option 21 wont load up, startup process? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats14

Technical User
Oct 1, 2003
US
I have a customer with a old as hell Option 21 that finally died over the weekend. The system does not even get to the point where it lights up the floppy LED's to load the software, and the CPU card display is totally blank. I ordered a CPU/Mem card, a EMSI card and a SMDU card hoping that one of these would fix the issue. Those didnt work. I have all those parts arriving again today ( I cannot verify the parts I received were any good) plus a SDI card and a QUAA3 power supply. Can any of you long time veterans tell me which sequence does the system use when the system starts up? (which cards are used. Have any of you run across this problem (no booting and a dark CPU card and what you did to fix it?

Thanks for any help,

Pats14

I have 2 questions and them some bragging.

Is the system getting power?
Does the system display anything on the terminal?

Bragging time I turn our Option 21 off on 9 May 2009 at 7:58am (2 minutes ahead of schedule)

I do have power, but the terminal comes out
with gibbersh. i unseated the SDI card, and the CPU card di
splayed "25", which was a lot more than it had been
doing, maybe a new SDI card will do the trick?

A bad SDI card will definitely mess up an old switch like that. In a pinch, just try to start it without that card even plugged in. If you have dial tone in 10 minutes, plug it back in and see if you can log in.

[©] GHTROUT.com [⇔] Resources for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators - You Can Hire Me Too

One way to tackle this is to remove all IPE cards and some network cards and power up the system with the minimum amount of hardware to see if that is the problem.

If by any chance the system comes back up then plug in one card at a time with a gap of 5 minutes to see if it's still running OK.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

I like GHT's idea, but I would wait 20 minutes, if i remember correctly it took 15 before started reading the disks or was 15 before it started reading the database disk I guess I don't remember that well. but it did take 20 minutes before it was functional

that is the best bet, min config.. you can plug into the front panel to watch the boot seq.. if that is not starting, 1st bet power supply..

good luck

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Turned out the SDI card was bad, and then I had a balky sheif controller card to deal with. Thanks for your help!

an sdi is one of the few cards nortel admits that can kill a redundant switch.. because the device number is an interupt, it can stop the master clock.. cpu dies, the world is sad

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back