Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Option 11, 25.40, PC/Lap Top Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTRAU

IS-IT--Management
Mar 2, 2007
US
Deep trouble? The old laptop (XP) that I was using to communicate with our Option 11 crashed and is not usable (hard drive failure)!
Only have Lap Top with 1 RJ45's Lan Port or USB port. Laptop is running Microsoft 7 Home Premium with no other apps. What is the best (easiest) way to connect my Option ll to this Lap Top and what additional apps do I need to load to be able to communicate with the Option 11 and Meridian Mail? Is there a Lan Port on the "11" that I can plug the Laptop into. Was using the standard Nortel 3 cable connection one for system printer, one for remote modem access and one for system communication.
Thanks for your HELP!

Thank You for the response...

And plug it into what?

Still need system printer and remote modem, Communication Port 0 is a DB 25 MALE so the suggested Amazon USB/DB9 will NOT work. Any more suggestions?

Thanks Chris

A USB to 9 way RS232 cable do work. You might need to purchase a 9 way to 25 way adapter along with a null modem converter.

I have used them many times to connect onto a Nortel Option 11 system. Using a LAN cable can work with a Rlogin compatible tool such a PuTTY etc.

However, although you can use a LAN cable to access Meridian Mail, you will probably cause it to lock up when exiting Mail.

Stick with the comm port.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

FIREBIRDSCRAMBLER: Thanks! Just to make sure I have got this straight, and in the right order, Communications Port 0 (Male DB25) plugs into DB25 Female Null Modem with a Female DB9, then a Male DB9 with USB connector plugs into the Lap Top USB port. Now what app do I need to run to access the USB Port and the Option 11 input/output? Do I have this right? Thanks Chris

How was your dead xp machine hooked up to it and what app were you using there? Anyone working on Nortel PBX for any length of time would have gender changer/null adapter and/or 9/25 pin adapter handy.

1. buy usb to serial adapter
2. buy any gender changer/pin changer/null adapter require
3. download putty and install on your current pc/lt

install the usb/serial adapter driver, remember which com port it's using during the install. Open up Putty and select the serial connection, select baud and com port. connect your cables.

There are a number of different communication tools around. As stated above, PuTTY, Hyper Terminal was common many moons ago on Windows computers. I tend to use Procommm Plus 4.8 and also "ZOC". There are many more around. We all have our own personal ones we like best.

When using a USB to COMM port cable, the computer will assign it a COMM port number and often this is a high number such as comm port 7 etc.

Som older communication type software will only have been designed to work on the first 4 COMM ports such as Procomm Plus. There is a simple way in the advance part of the comm port settings in Device Manage to allow you to change it to a lower port. Even if it says "In use", you can still assign it to that number as long as you know that no other device is set to use it.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Thank you all! I really appreciate the info! Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back