Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Optimizing Windows Media Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

crystal28

Programmer
Oct 23, 2002
US
I am using Windows XP and Win Media player Ver 10,but still it doesnt have a great video quality,i would like to know what are all the plug ins i need to install and what settings in Windows i need to use in order to use Media Player to the optimum and get great quality videos.

Your video playback wont be any greater than the quality they have been encoded at. However to ensure that you have the correct codecs to decode to the intended quality try downloading a codec pack such as K-Lite codec pack or the Windows XP codec pack.

I use WinXP + Windows Media Player 10 too... But I have never actually felt a loss in quality even without the codecs. I only install the codecs becuase otherwise Media PLayer will complain saying the codec wasn't found and that it cant decode.

Make sure you have the latest codecs and upgrades and get the best graphics card you can.

The answer has always been 42

best graphics card huh ? im not too sure thats gonna have a grave impact on the quality or is it ? I was thinkin that most of the VGA cards available on the market today ranging from the 2X's to the PCI Express chips gave "almost" the same performance or rather quality in video. Usual video playback doesnt hav such a load on the GPU so u shud be able to get the same video quality irrespsctive of the Video card.

Cos I have actually used VGA cards like a 2X S3 Savage, a 4X Geforce2 MX, a 4x Asus 7000 and now a 16x PCI Express Geforce PCX 5300. Ive bin running the same kinda video on them and they seem to give out the same quality picture... well if there is a difference it would have bin over looked ( in that case very minute )

As long as your video card supports hardware decompression of the format that you are using, you won't see a difference. If your video card doesn't support hardware decompression, then the only difference is that it will eat up more CPU cycles because the CPU will be doing the decoding rather than the video card. Mostly remotely modern video cards will have no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back