Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Optimizing this join query

Status
Not open for further replies.

c73mr0ck

Programmer
Oct 25, 2012
US
Hello,
I have this query and I cannot figure out how to optimize this query any further. Since it’s a joined query, I can’t seem to get it to honor any of the indexes.

Here’s the monstrosity:

Code:
SELECT 
FROM assets_products ap 
	INNER JOIN assets a1 ON ap.asset_id=a1.id 
	INNER JOIN products p1 ON ap.product_id = p1.id 
WHERE (p1.name LIKE '%9780203506561%' OR a1.isbn LIKE '%9780203506561%' OR a1.e_isbn LIKE '%9780203506561%' OR REPLACE(a1.isbn, '-','') LIKE '%9780203506561%' OR a1.isbn_10 LIKE '%9780203506561%' OR a1.isbn_13 LIKE '%9780203506561%' OR a1.print_isbn LIKE '%9780203506561%' OR a1.isbn_canonical LIKE '%9780203506561%' OR p1.sku LIKE '%9780203506561%' OR p1.sku_canonical LIKE '%9780203506561%' OR REPLACE(p1.sku, '-','') LIKE '%9780203506561%' OR (a1.author_name LIKE '%9780203506561%' OR a1.author_first_name LIKE '%9780203506561%' OR a1.author_last_name LIKE '%9780203506561%' OR p1.author_name LIKE '%9780203506561%')) AND 
((p1.type !='package') AND ( (a1.build_status NOT IN ('destroyed', 'unavailable', 'out_of_distribution', 'limited_distribution')) AND 
(a1.cached_product_in_store=1 AND a1.block_search!=1 AND a1.type='VitalBook') )) 
GROUP BY p1.id

and the explain that goes with it:
Code:
+----+-------------+-------+--------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------------------------------+---------+--------+---------------------------------------------------------------------+
| id | select_type | table | type   | possible_keys                                                                                   | key                            | key_len | rows   | Extra                                                               |
+----+-------------+-------+--------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------------------------------+---------+--------+---------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  1 | SIMPLE      | a1    | ref    | PRIMARY,type                                                                                    | type                           | 93      | 153338 | Using index condition; Using where; Using temporary; Using filesort |
|  1 | SIMPLE      | ap    | ref    | assets_products_asset_id_index,assets_products_product_id_index                                 | assets_products_asset_id_index | 4       |      1 | NULL                                                                |
|  1 | SIMPLE      | p1    | eq_ref | PRIMARY,sku,products_public_id_index,sku_id_type,id_lock,in_store,index_products_on_created_on	| PRIMARY                        | 4       |      1 | Using where                                                         |
|  	 |       			 |    	 |  			| products_parent_id_type,index_products_on_sku_canonical,index_products_on_company_id, 					| 	                        		 |         |        | 						                                                        |
|  	 |       			 |     	 | 			  | index_products_on_created_on,index_products_on_updated_on, index_products_on_updated_on         |                                |         |        |						                                                          |
+----+-------------+-------+--------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Clem C

How about adding a 'first-stage' query that selects the simple things - like "p1.type !='package'" and also "a1.cached_product_in_store=1 AND a1.block_search!=1 AND a1.type='VitalBook'". You don't mention how many records are in your tables, but if you can limit the scope of the 'like' and 'not in', it will speed up.

When all else fails, manipulate the data.

Trevil - thanks for the feedback and I like your idea of breaking this into multiple queries.

One strange optimization technique I tried yielded some pretty significant results.
I added this forced index: FORCE INDEX (index_products_on_sku_canonical) and it's showing significant performance increases (over 50%!!!!). It's weird - when I do an explain, the old query scans 5 times less rows but I guess it has something to do with

Using where; Using temporary; Using filesort in the fast query

VS

Using index condition; Using where; Using temporary; Using filesort

in the slow query.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back