Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Optimizing database application using BDE and MSAccess

Status
Not open for further replies.

amarti44

Programmer
Feb 16, 2001
US
Hi:

I have an application accesing a MSAccess database in a LAN. The database is 35 MB in size with 40000 records in the main table. I'm using BDE to access the data store in the file. Every time I do a manipulation with the database a huge amount of data is tranfered (18 MB) back and foward between the computer running the application and the computer where the file is stored. I know that all the data is first copied into a local cache of the BDE in order to be processed. Is there a way to restrict the amount of data that the BDE saves in cache (i.e, saving only indexes) everytime you use the Table Active property?
I know that a good solution will be to move to a SQL client/server application, but besides that, is there a way to optimize this to lower the amount of data transfered through the network? I'm running Delphi 5 in Windows 2000.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Alberto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back