Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

2ffat

Programmer
Oct 23, 1998
US
Here's another embarrassing mistake.

Anybody seen others?

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Should we include the title of this thread? [smile]

Greg
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. Kierkegaard

2ffat - Irony? or Doh!?

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

I thought it was pretty ironic that the news program on which I first saw the above billboard mistake followed the story with a caption that read:
Contruction continues on the I-15 corridor.
Geez, you'd think that newspeople would at least have proofreaders that check their spelling prior to airtime.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

Well I guess no one is perfect... and I am glad that that is so, otherwise we would miss out on the funny side of life....

spelmistk1.jpg

and talking about newspeople:
spelmistk14.jpg

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Dave, the problem started when all the proof readers were let go because the editors/proprietors thought that spell checkers could do the job just as well for no salary.

An old friend of mine, sadly now no longer with us, was a proof reader with our local newspaper. When he and his colleagues were let go, the mistakes thet got through increased exponentially.

It is time for pacifists to stand up and fight for their beliefs.

Me said:
the mistakes thet got through increased exponentially
[blush]

It is time for pacifists to stand up and fight for their beliefs.

2ffat - Irony? or Doh!?
I'll never tell! [lol]

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Regarding the bill board, I don't see a big problem. The spelling is just off by a hair.

It actually reminds me of a friend I grew up with. He was thumbing through a Playboy magazine and started laughing. I asked what he was laughing at. He said he thought it was funny they were calling it "public hair".

There was a Methodist church down the street that had one of those garish backlit signs. Their message was lengthy, so they abbreviated the church's name at the top:

United Meth Church

I kick myself once a week for not taking a picture.

-------++NO CARRIER++-------

Having taken a picture of that sign you've certainly got them by the short and curlies!

With halloween approaching, there's a farm I pass by advertising "Pumkins For Sale". In the summer they advertised "Lettis".

Here in Utah, local pronunciations include multiple mispronunciations. One such is the phoneme ale/ail, which the locals pronounce as ell. So we end up with the following mispronunciations here:

mail/male become mell
sail/sale become sell

The real illiteracy becomes fully apparent when we see hand-written signs on autos: FOR SELL.

[santa]Mufasa
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

I love this one:

gousa.jpg

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Oh that one is very good.

unknown

...It doesn't say much for Cardinals fans, does it? (I wonder if Ordinals fans are any smarter. <grin>)

[santa]Mufasa

Possibly a Cardinal sin.

They probably have a hard time getting into the series.

unknown

Well, I know a guy called Bill Moran - I kid you not. So perhaps our Cardinals fan has a beef with Bill's Family?

p5

P5 said:
Well, I know a guy called Bill Moran
I'm hoping/presuming that Bill pronounces his surname "More-anne" and not "More-on".

[santa]Mufasa

The former...

p5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back