Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opportunity window does not open and locks ACT! 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPOJIM

Technical User
Oct 17, 2006
US
I noticed this morning that the above happens. I recently installed ACT for Palm as a demo from the Sage website. All other windows seem to pop like Notes, activities etc. The fancy graphs and charts on opportubities tab work, just not add a new opportunity window locks system. I can add an opp on my palm and see it in the tabbed Opp summary screen, but opening it locks again. Any ideas? Thanks!

I don't use a Palm, but I have heard that there are issues with Sales Ops because of a bug in the ACT! SDK. It's why other PDA solutions don't sync Sales Ops.

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust

I'm running Act! V9.01.162 Hotfix 1 and I have the exact same problem. All of my ACT windows and dialogs open find EXCEPT the Opportunity window.

It appears to open, but doesn't display on screen because the base ACT window locks in typical dialog-mode behaviour where the top window is the only accessible one. When I press ESCape, I'm guessing the Opportunity window closes because control is returned to ACT.

I had been using the ACT! Palm app with no problem and even uninstalled it and rebooted after reading this, but it made no difference. I have no specific idea when the problem started other than within the last 2 months because I use the Opportunity window frequently.

I even re-installed ACT from the CD. No change.

I'm running XP SP2 with 1 GB RAM, Office 2003 latest packs, and Avast Antivirus - none of that has changed in the last couple of years.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated because if I can't fix this, I'm going to have to abandon it - I need that opportunity feature.

-steve

Question... are you refering to using ACT! on the desktop or on the Palm?

PS: There is also a Hotfix2 now, but I don't think that has anything to do with your issue

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust

Hi Mike, yes, I'm referring to a problem with ACT! Desktop.
I will look for and install the Hotfix2 just to see if it helps.

Any other suggestions?
BTW, I have LOTS of application software installed on this machine (not a gamer) and everything else appears to be working fine.

I recently replaced my video card with an NVIDIA GE-Force 6200 (I run multiple monitors) but I'm (almost) certain that this problem isn't connected.

-steven

I assume most of your other applications are not as complex and do not use the .Net Framework and SQL Server?

Did the problem start after changing the video card?

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust

I have no idea which apps would be using the .NET framework - is there a way to tell?

My most frequetly used apps include
-MS Office
-MS Publisher
-MS Frontpage
-Adobe Photoshop Elements
-Streets & Trips
-Pinnacle Studio 10
-Nero Burning
-Picasa
-MS OneNote
-Firefox 2.x
-IE7

I'm almost sure that my problems started after the video upgrade, but can't be sure and also can't even be sure that it started at the same time or it's just an unrelated sequence. However, I did notice just now that Nvidia released a new driver July 26, 2007 so I'm downloading it and installing it right now.

-steven

None of the apps you listed use any of the complex Microsoft technologies like .Net or SQL Server.

Let us know how the vid driver change goes.

If that doesn't help, try turning off Video Acceleration and seeing if that makes a difference

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust

I updated the video driver and it didn't help.
I then disabled the video acceleration and write combing - didn't help.

Is there a way I can change it back to generic VGA while retaining the video card? (I don't have my old one anyway).

I'm puzzled why only the Opportunities dialog window is affected and none of the other windows are.

-steven

I just rebooted after trying it without the video acceleration etc. and setting it back to "normal".

I also confirmed that the Opportunity dialog doesn't appear from both sources - from the Client window and also from the Opportunities List window.

-steven

Try some basic trouble shooting:

Does it happen for New Ops and when dbl-clicking to edit c current Sales Op?
Does it work in the Demo database?
If running on a network, does it happen from a different computer?
Does it happen when a different user user logged into the database?

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust

Yep, I tested those scenarios
-same problem whether new opp or editing an existing one
-and just yesterday, I confirmed it happens with demo db, too.
-not networked so I can't test from other machines.

Is there a way that I could switch to just the plain VGA driver to test whether it's Nvidia related or not?

-steven

original poster here.... I do have a second .net app installed. Maybe act wants a particular ver of .net?

so far my probs are exactly the same as yours. I think they started after adding the trial act for palm.

ACT! 8.0 uses .Net 1.1

You can have .Net 1.1 and 2.0 applications running on the same machine. The two versions are seperate

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust

I wish there was a journal/log in Windows that would chronologically list the software that's been installed so I could possibly make a connection there.

My guess is that some shared-DLL was updated by some other app.

Unfortunately, I don't have a replacement video card so I can't try that.

Even the latest Windows automatic updates didn't make any difference.

I'm puzzled as to why this problem is limited specifically to the Opportunities window and nothing else, either in Act or any other app that I run.

Any more suggestions would be hugely welcome at this point. My biz is picking up and I really need this feature.

-steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back