Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opinions on Switching Employers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BParsons

Technical User
Jan 27, 2005
US
Lately I’m feeling burnt-out/ bored with my current employer and have thought about seeking employment with a consulting company. I’ve developed a reputation with the owner of a well know consulting firm for the industry I’m in, we’ve worked together on things in the past and I know he’s impressed with my work.

The problem is that owner of the consulting company is friends with my boss and does some consulting work for my employer as well. I feel that there’s much more room for personal development with the consulting company but there’s also a lot of possible repercussions because of the circumstances.

Is it appropriate for me to pursue something like this or should I just leave it alone?

Send your boss what you just wrote with elaboration. Explain why you feel burned out/bored. Either you will open an honest dialog with your boss that will hopefully end up with you more happy in the long run, or else you will find out that your boss is not someone that you want to work for.

[red]"... isn't sanity really just a one trick pony anyway?! I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you are good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!" - The Tick[/red]

Well this just got more interesting…

I received an email from the consulting company yesterday at my home email address asking if I’d be interested in doing some side jobs for them. I responded back saying that I might be interested and asked for some specifics such as expectations, requirements, rates, etc. Now the question is what is an acceptable rate (%) for a contactor doing work for a consulting company? I know what they charge for the type of work I’d be doing but since this will be my first time to do something like this I don’t know what the standards are.

Thanks in advance.

Hi BParsons

Just a little advice, i was once offered side work from one of our suppliers, my boss got word of that and told me that it constituted a conflict of interest to work for both the client and supplier. The work might be perceived as sideways payment for future contract with your present employer. Even if it is not, sometimes the simple perception or illusion of this can cause you trouble.

My advise is to go full blown for the consulting firm. That way your present employer, if he's not POed by your move, can still acquire your services through the firm itself.

Agreed, zen37. As for the possible repercussions in the original question, that's really between the contractor and your boss. Your boss might not appreciate the contractor "poaching" you, and the contractor might lose future business if the relationship sours, but that's really up to him.

First opinion, in the interest of keeping relations good with your boss, I recommend telling him/her about the offer. I've been in the same situation prior to this and it truly solidified my relationship with my boss.

Now this purely subjective, if you believe your boss will make your life a bit hellish, this isn't a good solution. But that is up to you and your comfort level with him.

Zen is 100% correct. Working for your employer and the firm that consults for them, is a very large conflict of interest and could easily end up with you not working for either company. You'll have to make a choice on where you're most comfortable and what you truly want, at least IMO.

Oh...and I love the Tick quote

Update…

I mentioned the idea to my boss about doing the work on the side and as I expected he wasn’t impressed. At first I was disappointed but now that I think about it this gives me the rocks to be able and ask the consultant if we could arrange something a little more “permanent” (A.K.A. full-time employment).

Any suggestions on how to approach this?

Thanks again for all of the advice.

Treat them the same way you would your boss. Notify them that due to a conflict of interest, you will be unable to work for them and for your current employer.

Now, how you handle it from here becomes a bit tricky. Especially given that your direct report has ties to the owner of this company. You could go on and tell them you are interested in the work, but unless it was something full time, you'll be unable to consider it.

Or you could leave it alone with the unsaid suggestion that as long as I work here, I cannot work for you.

I have to say I don't envy you on this one.

You havn't made it clear whether you are considereing a change of employment or additional i.e. secondary a.k.a. part time employment with the consulting company. I take it is the latter that you have in mind as you'r present employer can't have any complaint if you seek greener pastures provided you have given due notice etc. In the latter case I whether there is a conflict of interest or not depends upon the facts of the case - it is not necessarily so e.g. your consulting with the consulting company may ne unrelated to the busisness of your employer. Further I think these issues crop up because employers don't devote enough resources to employee changes e.g. by having written handing over procedure and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back