Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opinions about MCDBA 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

seaport

MIS
Jan 5, 2000
US
I am thinking about getting a certification of MCDBA (Microsoft Certified Database Administrator). Is it worthwhile to get? Is it popular now?

I have a master degree in MIS and do not have any background in computer science. I learned Access and VBA by myself.

Thanks in advance.

Seaport

I don't think any certification will get you a job, but they help move you towards the top of the stack (IOW, a certification may get you an interview when you otherwise might be further down the list).

If you have a certification, but very little experience, it would be difficult to get a mid- or senior-level position.

I've both been a candidate and an interviewee a lot in the past few years, and it seems that having a certification doesn't seem to matter that much to the people doing the interviewing.

A case in point: I recently interviewed (along with a colleague, who is not a data guy) three candidates for a DBA/Developer position. We both ranked Mr. Jones #3, even though he had MCP in SQL Server and was nearing certification as MCDBA, yet #1 and #2 had no certifications at all (we both ranked the three independently, so it wasn't just one of my quirks). Experience levels for all three in terms of number of years was similar.

Why did we rank the most-certified person #3? Because what mattered to us was: did the candidate have the specific experience we needed for the target position. The position called for a lot of data import/export/massaging and DTS work, and #1 had the most. #3 had the most large-scale database design experience, but that wasn't what was required.

So, after all this, I guess my point is: to most companies, having the broadest experience possible is probably your first priority. I would mix in with that getting an MCP (base-level certification) with the specific exam that most matches your desired position, and leave the MCDBA until you are looking for more mid- and senior-level positions.

MCDBAs are likely to have the most impact when interviewing for larger "Microsoft" shops, where the people with whom you will be interviewing are likely to have MS certifications themselves, and can appreciate the hard work it takes to pass. Robert Bradley
Sr. DBA, some big company
cheap prints and oil paintings:

Robert,

Thanks so much for your quick response and helpful input.

Seaport

By all means, don't take my word for it. Hopefully, you'll get a lot of responses in this thread, and you can assimilate all of them and come up with your own conclusion. Robert Bradley
Sr. DBA, some big company
cheap prints and oil paintings:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back