Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opinion on policy requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPOriface

Vendor
Oct 20, 2007
AU
I've got a site running IPO Server Edition R11.0, a few hundred or so J series handsets, Broadworks based SIP Trunks (Enterprise config w/ failover to secondary SE). All was running happily until the client made a call on one of their Cisco WebEx codec's - primary system crashed and all handsets failed over to secondary (yay, it works, but still not a great customer experience).

The Cisco's are all running as 3rd party ep's, along with a bunch of SIP doorstations and other devices, none of which have ever triggered a crash.

We opened a service request with Avaya, and pretty much immediately were hit with "if those endpoints aren't supported, then we're not even going to look at this". Supported 3rd party ep's are ones who've been thru the Avaya lab and have application note docs on DevConnect. I couldn't find any Cisco devices on the list.

My response was essentially "Under no circumstances should a crash be an acceptable response to a condition. If placing a call on an unsupported device randomly causes a condition which triggers a crash, then that condition needs to be trapped and dealt with cleanly. If registration of this device is denied, then fine, but don't allow a crash to happen."

The to & fro with Avaya continues. I'd be interested in feedback from the forum about how you would react if faced with this situation.

Support will do anything they can to avoid having to deal with the issue.

In some cases the only solution has been to escalate to managers or getting sales people to call their Avaya contacts.

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

Yeah my next joyful step will be up the sales channel. In my experience, unless you're bringing sales, it's an uphill battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back