Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opinion on particular A+ study guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesusPhreak

Technical User
Jan 18, 2003
US
Hey all,

Just wondering....I am self-studying for the A+ exam and I have David Groth's "A+ Complete Study Guide."

Does anybody have an opinion on this author (study guide?)

The bookstore was out of Mike Meyer's study guide so I opted for David Groth.

Thanks!
JP

I self-studied as well. I used the Mike Meyers book. Although his book was good, after writing the exams (and passing the first time) I felt that Mike's book was designed to help you pass, not ace, the exams.

In general, it's important to know how to install all the various components in a computer. You also need to know all the Pentium-class processors including the slot/socket type, L1 and L2 cache sizes. I memorized all the IRQs, I/O addresses, DMA assignments, number of Pins for each memory type, cables and connectors and the maximum lengths of every type of cable I found in the book.

Unfortunately, most of what I memorized was not on the exams!

If I was going to do it all again, here's what I would suggest:

1. Read a competent book (yours is probably fine).

2. Go to and print out the A+ objectives. Make sure you know something about each objective.

3. Buy a book on PC upgrading/troubleshooting. The A+ exam does not test you on "complex" PC problems but there is a strong emphasis on troubleshooting on the Core exam.

4. Beg, borrow or steal (err, well, don't actually steal) a copy of Win95, Win98, WinNT and Win2K. Familiarize yourself with installing each OS and, more importantly, do an upgrade from each OS to the other. I remember having a lot of questions involving upgrading from Win95 to Win98 or WinNT to Win2K.

David Groth is an excellent author. His i-Net+ study guide is the gold standard so I don't think you will go wrong with his A+ book.

Also grab some study guides from cramsession and Examnotes. Get the exam objectives from CompTIA and do some research on your own, as well. There is no "one" magic bullet or book to cover the exam. Use a variety of sources and study, study, study. Good luck.

A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,HTI+,CET,CST,CNST,CFOT,CCNT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

Glister is right on. There is no one magic bullet to pass the exams. I took a class, which in retrospect, I could have bypassed, which came w/ the Meyers book. I also used Measureup practice exams, in addition to the exams included w/ the books. Be sure to download test objectives and use the wealth of info on the net. My next step is Net+. Good luck w/ your studies. A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back