Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OPINION ON NEW IT SOLUTIONS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil8

MIS
Mar 3, 2006
US
I'm hoping to get some opinions on developing a new IT solution. I may be in the wrong forum, and if so I appoligize in advance.

Background:
I had one company using one server Win 2003 SBS w/Exchange, hardware firewall and Cable Modem Internet Access. Clients are using WinXP Pro with MS Office 2003 - includes a large programed MS Access database.

The problem:
I need to split the IT configuration into two as efficently and as cheap as possible. Concerns are HIPPA - Security, Ease of use and that one of the new entites will completely merge with another entity and be Company A with sites 1 & 2 in differnt cities.

Solutions:
1. Purchase all new server hardware configuration for one entity approximately $5K.
2. Purchase Cloud Server services such as Rackspace for approximately $200/month.

Questions: Would the cloud server solution still require new hardware anyway or just tunnel through the original server?

Are there issues or solutions that I haven't thought of?

Thanks for all your help!

What are you planning on splitting off? Having a second server won't change your HIPPA compliance any. HIPPA is all about ensuring that only authorized people can access the medical data, and that all access to view that data is tracked. For good measure you'll want to encrypt all your existing medical data and all new medical data should be stored in an encrypted form. A second server isn't going to do this for you at all.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Blog

Sorry part of what I thought I typed isn't in the discription:

Company A has been split in two - Company A and Company B. They are still using the same database and WIN SBS 2003 server with Exchange. I can't separate out the two companies in the database using existing security. A further complication is that Company A is now a Division of Company C and in a year or two will want to consolidate IT services.

Thanks.

OK, so you need a second server to support the second company. You'll need to take a copy of the database and give that to the new server for company B and remove all of the company A information from it. Then go to the old server, and remove all of company Bs information from company As database.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back