Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opinion: Cheap PC package or build slower PC myself? 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

VBAjedi

Programmer
Dec 12, 2002
KH
Ok - this isn't quite one of those "What do you think of this system setup I'm looking at?" questions. . . more of a general question.

For a budget/low-end system for home use, is it better to get a complete boxed solution (from the likes of Dell) or to build your own (presumably slower, but more reliable) system?

In my case, I have $500 to spend on a complete system (including monitor and XP Home OS). Dell's entry-level package offers an AMD Athlon 2400 with 256MB Ram for $450 (shipped). I won't hesitate to roll up my sleeves and build my own if I think I can come out ahead in performance. . .

Opinions?

VBAjedi [swords]

At the bottom end it is hard to beat the prices. Just understand what you have and remember what your intentions were when you bought it.

The biggest complaint I see with the bottom dwellers is mission creep. It was bought to give internet access and now it is needed as a server for a 100 active node network. By the time the user gets done flogging it, it is underpowered for the new duties.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Thanks, Ed! eMachines, HP, and Dell (in that order!) take so much flak for being cheap that I was starting to wonder if building was a viable alternative. But your assessment makes sense and your warning is heeded - have a star.

If you care to venture an opinion (on an issue with so many variables), what would you say the pricepoint currently is where it's worth considering building? Again, for a general-purpose home machine. . .

VBAjedi [swords]

Just a reminder .
Theese are usually not plattforms suited to
buildt/upgrade on.

If you want low price as an entry ticket ,to
later build/upgrade the main parts to give
specialattension is.
Motherboard
RAM
PSU
and case (with sufficiant fan support)

Yeah most companies sell you on processor speed and hard drives. You can compare the same spec'd computers one you built yourself and say a dell. Chances are you won't get a monitor with that dell. Build one yourself. We can recomend good parts at the best price. Also its a lot of fun putting it together.

GoatMan - monitor and Win XP home are included. And free shipping.

I wouldn't mind building at all - I just didn't think I could do a complete setup for $500 that way. No salvageable parts on my old box - it's like a 550Mhz and I wanna turn it into a Linux box anyway. Think you can spec out a system for $450 without monitor (I can probably scrape a monitor up for $50 locally)?

VBAjedi [swords]

I'm not the one to ask about the price points for 2 reasons, 1) I don't see the retail prices often, and 2) most of the stuff I work on is 500mhz or less and using older technology unless it is an upgrade for a customer.
Paparazi may jump in. He sees more. He counts in pounds or euros, but will have useful info.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I agree; you can build on of the fastest machines on the block for about 700 bucks. By cutting a few corners you'll still have a better pc and it will easily upgrade as more money becomes available.

Shopping list if you want it.

Skip

Skip,

I'm definitely up for a shopping list, but I can't do $700. I don't need the fastest on the block, anyway. Just hoping for a bit better quality than Dell (but I'll settle if I have to).

I'm not a hardcore gamer (I still like to play Worms Armegeddon! [lol]), digital artist, or video editor. Just do some business app. web design (with PHP/MySql/etc.), VBA programming for MS Office, the usual web use, stuff like that.

VBAjedi [swords]

If you shop smart, you can build a nice system for less than $400 without monitor.

AMD XP 2400
Biostar M7NCG 400 with onboard audio, video, lan
512 meg Pc 2700
Maxtor 60 gig harddrive
Foxconn Case
cdrw
cdr
floppy

less than $400 shipping included, much of this is from Newegg.com

this is by no means a bottom line system, it will do all you will need at home or office.

okiepc

It's difficult for me as I know you guys generally get things 15-20% cheaper than us brits, I'll try and guestimate.
I think the Dell package looks good on price and will be hard to beat, it's likely to be all integrated (i'm not a big fan) performance generally will be down and not just in the graphics department, these integrated chipsets are naturally doing more work and are "jack of all trades"
Is the XP "pre installed without disk?"
Save this parts list and try your cheap suppliers:
Asrock K7S8XE
Athlon XP2.4+
Geforce 4 MX440SE 64mb
Generic heatsink/fan (make sure it's rated well over 2.4)
Standard CDrom (probably too little money for a CDRW instead?)
Floppy drive
350watt midi case
256 Kingston Value PC2700 ram
Maxtor Diamondmax plus 9 60/80gig
OEM XP Home
It's hard to be more specific than this but this system should just about come in at around the same price but with a little extra grunt and better graphics.
It's a tuff call, suppliers like Dell buy parts by the ship load, it's difficult to compete.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

abit nforce2 ultra400 nf7-s mobo w/ soundstorm
$120

amd 2500+ cpu
$90

2x256mb pc3500 generic memory
$80

slk800 heatsink w/ thermaltake smartfan 2
$30

overclock all of the above to about 11x225

two cheap low rpm 80mm case fans from bestbyte.com
$5

a cheap case
$25

450w fortron quiet power supply
$55

80gb maxtor hd w/ 8mb cache
$80

any brand cd/rw drive
$30

any brand floppy drive
$10

ti4200 vid card
$80

any TV tuner card
$45

garage sale amplifier hooked to
two large passive speakers
$15

This list assembled in October and prices have since dropped. If you are not interested in hardcore overclocking/gaming you can buy slower memory and/or start with 1 256Mb stick, ditch the tv card, use your old speakers and use a less expensive heatsink and fan.

Check current prices at newegg and pricewatch.com and for damn sure, check out the vendors track record at:

Good luck,

Skip

SkipCox,
Nice one but $215 over the Dell system and $165 over VBAjedi's budget.
Forgive me, but whenever I see a post with strict budgetry guidelines like this one there is always someone that posts his/hers wish list of Radeon 9800XT's and P4 3gig HT's, OK it hasn't quite happened yet! but give it time, the thread is still active. :>)
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

When you suggest these parts and prices you need to include the operating system--that's another 90 to 190$ depending XP Home or Pro and where you buy it.

Jim

paparazi,

The list was written to show a guy it's possible to build a screaming system without spending big bucks. I sincerely hope the wish list thing passes over this thread.

ANFPS26,

I noticed that 30 sec after my last post. I'll learn to read one day.

I'm new at tek-tips and I'm not a kid...if you see something you don't care for, let me know. I'll certainly have no problem with it.

Regards,

Skip

I'll sum this up for you. A) You can buy cheap parts and have a seemingly fast system but will eventually have to replace parts due to poor quality and bad management due to the boards incompetence. B)You can spend a few hundred bucks more on a system that rocks using good parts and find yourself keeping up with technology for a year or two. You also have to think long term. And believe it or not slow parts are almost as much as fast ones these days. Either get the dell or a cheap system and deal with the grief of replacing faulty ram sticks or mother boards or spend a few extra bucks for parts that last.

Dell prices are hard to beat. For the system you purchase, much depends on your computer experience. Dell has a great reputation for their customer support. It's nice if you're not a techie and/or you don't want to put in the time to fix a machine to just have a Dell guy come to your location and patch it all up (granted, that's more money on a warranty). I personally would never, ever, buy a machine from a company like Dell for personal use (notice I say personal use). Some basic reasons: I can upgrade and do anything I want without worrying about voiding the warranty. I dont have to deal with all the manufacturer software that comes on the machine. The Windows CD that is included is rarely the actual Microsoft release...but rather a release made for the company (like Dell) and is often a pain to use. Plus, many times that CD it will only work with your specific machine model, so don't count on using CD to install/troubleshoot windows on another machine. Buy the actual Microsoft Release. Most everything else has already been mentioned (upgrades, integrated hardware, etc.)

But, the Dell prices are very tough to beat, especially with the monitor included and support factors.

This is about the best I can find and I'm still at $710.55

Abit nforce2 ultra400 nf7-s w/soundstorm
AMD 2500+ w/ hsf
512Mb pc3200 ram
Ti4200 64Mb 512MhzDDR video card.
WD 80Gig/8Mb hdd
MSI 52x32x52/2Mb cd-rw
1.44Mb floppy
Mid Tower case, 350w, 1 rear fan, front usb, mic, audio
2.1 speakers
107+8 key kybd, wheel mouse
17" .23 dp(H) .27 dp(D) monitor
XP Home SP1a

Hell, still not bad for a rig that'll smoke a 3200+. Too bad you wanted little details like a monitor and operating system.:)

Skip

That's a nice one Skip.
I give you a star for that suggestion.

Sure the abit board with a 2500+ would be great for overclocking. But for stock speed stability and compatibility you can't beat the value of a KT600. And the price is good on the 2500+ also. Also if you plan on playing any new games i.e. directx9 you probably should get either a 5600 or a 9600. The rest are good sugestions though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back