Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

opinion about mirroring software

Status
Not open for further replies.

news2me

Technical User
May 14, 2001
US
Does anyone have an opinion about "mirroring software" for Solaris 7. I need an application that will mirror our production HD to a twin HD. I cannot use an extra partition for this app all partitions are in use as it stands right now. Anyone?

Solstice Disksuit is a SUN product and will do all the mirroring etc you want and has a GUI interface as well.
With Solaris 7 it was part of Easy Access Server package.

Having used two different packages to provide this kind of functionality my opinion is this;
Disksuite is free with Sol7
Veritas Logical Volume Manager is not free

You get what you pay for.

If all you want is straight RAID 0+1, or in your case RAID 1, for a relatively small set-up that is a relatively static size. It has more than enough guts for the job. Go for it !

If you have a dynamic system with high potential growth or a large number of disks, Veritas LVM is your friend. Ian

"IF" is not a word it's a way of life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back