Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Operator Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

konchamp

IS-IT--Management
Aug 4, 2005
US
We have too many people inhouse dialing 0 and it takes away from answering outside phone calls. Is it possible to give higher priority to callers dialing 0 from outside vs. inside? or how can we give higher priority to ouside callers when they dial 0?

Are the inhouse people calling internally in order to be transferred? or to obtain specific information. It might be easier to implement a policy where if someone internally calls the operator to get transferred, the operator simply denies them, and tells them to look up the extension on a published directory. This worked wonders in my organization. after 2 days of people getting denied, they got the hint and stopped being lazy.

this would be the way to go but I'm trying to do it without ruffling too many feathers. This is a hospital so we have nurses, doctors, and anybody and everybody dialing 0 because they don't want to have to find a number....Let me know if theres anything the switch can do. I have an option 61c.

This is a management issue not a Technology issue. But you could program 0 to ring to a ran or Vmail info box that has a message that say's don't be so lazy and look it up yourself.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Have 0 ring to a dial by name application instead of the operator. They can then self-dial whomever they want to talk to.

Or do like we did.
Install an IVR with automated attendant.
When the auto-attendant answers it asks for a name.
Speak the name and it will ask you to verify by reading the name back to you and asking if that is the person you want.

IF you say yes, it transfers you to that number.
If you say no, it tries again with a like sounding name.

It will try three times and then give up and transfer you to the operator.

The simplest solution is to teach the operators to watch their ICI (Incoming Call Indicator) keys. They can prioritize the way they answer by how the call comes in. My site is a hospital and the ICI keys show if the calls come across the TIE lines, Dial '0' and the inbound PRI's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back