Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

operation: turn dvd player into full computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozispimp

IS-IT--Management
Dec 15, 2000
US
ok, so i have one of those dvd players (as i'm sure all of you do) and i want to turn it into a full computer attached to my network wirelessly.. first some info.

the motherboard i will most likely be using is a Shuttle FV24.. this is one of the smallest motherboards i've seen out yet and its very difficult to find (for sale anyway) along with the shuttle minipower supply, i can fit the motherboard + powersupply + hard drive + dvd rom drive + one pci card into the main unit. for the extra pci card slot, i was thinking of getting an ati all in wonder radeon, so that i could record/play video through the tv.. although the stock motherboard has ports for playback through tv, there is no record option.

now since that one pci slot is used up, i was going to dremel a hole for an antenna, and have it hooked up wirelessly via a linksys wireless USB adapter.. this way, no wires will be showing.. also wirelessly i was going to get a mouse and keyboard package and place the sensor inside (also dremel a hole) so that the sensor for that wouldn't show either.

does anyone have any articles/links/write-ups about a project similar to this.. i want to see what others have done.. also what about a wireless camera,.. does anyone know of an outdoor camera that i might be able to use? any help anything would be greatly appreciated. any tips suggestions.. anything is welcomed..

Try this site they have some different cases for the Eden Motherboards that are not too expensive. I was looking at them to just look around to see what was out there. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back