Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Operation must use an updateable query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kindi

Programmer
Jan 31, 2001
GB
On my ASP page i have coded a insert query, the query is correct however when i check on the browser i get this error

HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error

Error Type:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable query.
/diary/entertodiary.asp, line 17

I am not sure what is wrong, could it be the database settings? or the ODBC settings? i have sucessfully been able to use a select query, but it does not like the insert query. The query isnt even updating! its inserting, this is the code:

insertDiary = "insert into activity values (22,'abna')"

Help!

Thanks

What is the code for your connection...Are you specifying read-only, perhaps..

Set Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
Conn.Open Session("ConnectString")
Set oRS = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.RecordSet")

to read a record:
oRS.open MYsql, conn

but to write:
conn.execute MYsql

Also, did you forget to specify the fields the values are going into?

insertDiary = "insert into activity (fld1, fld2) values (22,'abna')"

[tt]I just had the same problem a few minutes ago and in my case it had to do where my database was housed.

I created it in the Server Root/website/database folder as suppossed to the Server Root/Databases where outside user will have access to it.

[tt]"A Successful man is one who can build a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him"[/tt]
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back