Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Operation failed when expanding groups in Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbicher

MIS
Jun 13, 2002
US
Hi all,
Here is a weird one for you. I'm having a problem expanding groups with the plus sign in Outlook. I get a message saying "Operation Failed". This is very strange since it only happens to additional mailboxes in the MAPI profile, never the primary mailbox. I have confirmed that it is not user specific by using an account with full mailbox rights to two seperate mailboxes. Then created two MAPI profiles, one with mailbox A as the primary and mailbox B as the additional mailbox and the other is simply the reverse. Regardless of the profile, I can not expand groups for the additional mailbox but can expand groups for the main mailbox
But it gets better. I currently have an Exchange 5.5 and an Exchange 2000 server in my org. I only experience the problem when the additional mailbox resides on the Exchange 2K server, never on the 5.5 server. In fact, if I move a mailbox to the 5.5 server, all is well but when I move it back it doesn't work again.
A few more things to add. Recently, our internal developers have created a custom for for Contacts that works with a custom Contact Database application they have written. Honestly, we do not know if this problem existed before the creation of this form. I believe that the for wsa publshed to the public folders on the 5.5 server. All the stores on the 2K server use the public folders on the 5.5 server ( I haven't moved them yet).
I hope that this is enough information and I hope someone can help me out.
Thanks in advance.

Len

Permissions conflicts with the ADC.

What is your AD setup? Mixed, or Native? Empty Root, or Single Domain?

There are a number of conflicts that are encountered by having an ADC in the environment, almost all are permissions related. In this scenario, that is why things work in the 5.5 world and not the 2000 world, yet.

Give me more details on the AD and Exchange layout. This is a typical problem that can be solved relatively easily, but it can be time consuming, or politically boundaries can rise with some changes necessary.

Thanks for the response. Being relatively new to AD and E2K, I'll try to answer to the best of my ability.

Our AD is is Mixed Mode. We have a root domain and five child domains under that. The root domain is where the mailbox-enabled, disabled users are for our remaining NT 4.0 domain users accounts.

I have an ADC for each AD domain. The one for the root domain is a two-way connection agreement, the rest are one way Windows to Exchange. The replication seems to work correctly.

I hope that is enough info. Please let me know if you need anything else. Thank you for your assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back