Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Operation aborted when Creating mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadstone

Technical User
Apr 24, 2002
GB
Hi

I've got a server with 2 IDE drives (one on IDE chanel 0 - 30GB, and the second on IDE channel 1 - 80GB). Both disks are jumpered correctly. Both disks have been setup as Dynamic disks under the Windows 2000 server install. The primary disk has 2 partitions, C: = 10GB NTFS and D: = 20GB NTFS. The second disk has no partitions on it.

So here comes the question:

I want to mirror the 2 partitions. In disk management, I right click the primary partition and select Add Mirror. I select the second drive as the destination for the mirror. Windows then attempts to create the mirror. After a couple seconds though it comes back with the following error:

Opertaion aborted due to disk I/O error.

OK - so logic says there's something fishy with the second disk. But if I create normal volumes on the disk, say E: and F: (ie. no mirror) the disk formats fine - no issues. Check disk shows no problems. Also, I checked the disk in a Linux system, and during format there were no issues with the drive (checking for bad blocks). That makes me think that the fault is not with the disk it self.

I've done this plenty times before, but this is the first time I've come across this error. Any takers?

Cheers

Roadstone

Reformat all disks with the HD manufacturer's low-level format tools. Windows dynamic disk sometimes writes weird in the file table and then you cannot seem to reformat correctly (beacuse the other utilities don't write to the same area.)

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back