Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Operating System not found........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 3, 2001
US
Hello, I'm using Windows XP Home Edition and a Sony Viao laptop. I get the message: " Operating System Not Found".
I then turn the computer off and on a couple of times and it works. It even sometimes leaves the message :
" Kernel_Data_Inpage_Error "

It once went into safe mode and did ok when I restarted the computer. I even used the restore cd's and reinstalled
Win XP. Then the next day, it said again : Operating System Not Found.

I was told that I might need a new hard drive.......

And help appreciated ....thx

Quentin

If the laptop is still under warranty, I would make Sony fix it! Otherwise, try to get it to boot into safe mode, then run all the system utilities, especially defrag and view the results. If the HD is chunked, you will see several bad sectors. Also try system restore utility and go back to last know good confiuration.
how long has this been happening? Anything new installed? Recent updates? hardware or peripherial added?
I will keep checking back
Michael

Hello Mike...

I installed a couple new programs , but have blown them off since then. It's past warranty. No new hardware has been installed. It just started happening this week.
I'll try system restore and go back a week or so . So you think it's better to run those utilities in safe mode, eh ? Thx Mike

Well I was thinking maybe trying to fix your MBR...you can do that by going into the recovery console and use the fixmbr command....however since you have full reinstalled windows xp from scratch that seems a little weird. You might want to run a scandisk to make sure there are no bad sectors on the hard drive......but if I had to guess in the end sony will just send you a new hard drive.

A+,N+,CST,CNCT,MCP

the hard drive may be the culperate

"Did you ever wish a circle was a square, so when land sharks start circling the boarders you can just cut them off at the corners?" - Aesop Rock

See if you can load XP via a Startup Floppy.

How to Use System Files to Create a Boot Disk to Guard Against Being Unable to Start Windows XP (Q314079)

Q305595 - HOW TO: Create a Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows XP

Your hard drive manufacturer will have free diagnostic tools to thoroughly check your drive out.

You can also check your RAM via here.

If your real lucky it might just be a loose connection or bad piece of wiring.

Hey, thanks for all you guys input !! As it turned out , the cable was loose on the hard drive. Once I corrected that situation the problem stopped ( at least for now :) )
Once again, thanks for all the help and the valuable links.

Quentin

oh damn I hate when that happens. *slaps himself* always check physical hardware first!

A+,N+,CST,CNCT,MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back