Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Operating System development 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyup

Programmer
Nov 12, 1998
GY
I am looking for information on how to write a minimal function (i.e read from disk, write to screen etc) single user realmode operating system using assembly language. What would be especially useful is information on how the individual DOS interrupts work.

the WROX Revolutionary Guide to Assembly has a good reference in the back of the book, with many of the interrupts. It also has example programs for writing to screen, disk, etc.

Sorry I'm late. I didn't know this forum was here.<br>
See if you can find a copy of PC Interrupts by Ralf Brown & Jim Kyle. It's as thick as a brick but a good reference, none-the-less.<br>
Hmmm... tired of Microsoft or just experimenting?<br>

I need basic files and help for a simplistic OS...<br><br><A HREF="mailto:corey@corix.cx">corey@corix.cx</A>

Corey, I hope you won't take this as a put-off. You will not find a simple <i><b>How to Create a New Operating System</i></b> guide. You will be all alone on this project.<br><br>You will need a number of items to create a new OS:<br><br>You will need at least two computers. One to develop applications and, at least one other, (with a hard drive you won't mind reformatting over and over and over again) to test your apps.<br><br>You will need to understand the boot-loader code (the first instuction in the boot sector of the boot drive is an instruction to JMP to the code stored at the address of the loader code).<br><br>You will have to rewrite or modify (why not? Microsoft did it) the loader code to point to your startup files. These will hook the interrupt vectors to provide the services required by any application you try to run under the new OS.<br><br>Up to this point you will be using only ROM BIOS interrupts. From here on, you will have to create your own interrupts to point to code that uses the ROM BIOS interrupts.<br><br>After that, everything becomes incredibly easy and all you have to do is click on an icon to open your e-mail.<br><br>I certainly don't mean to discourage you (we definately need a new OS) but the task you have chosen is extremely difficult and will require much sweat and blood. If you are determined to proceed, I can only offer my best wishes and task-specific tips in the future.<br><br>Good luck!<br> <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= plain black box</a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back