Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Operating Fridge on UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamsher123

Technical User
Nov 16, 2008
PK
Hello. can anybody guide me please? i want to know if i can run my fridge on a UPS with the following specs:

Fridge Power Consuption : 200 Watts 1 Amp, Heater 300 Watts
UPS Capacity: 24Volts output: 2000VA 1200Watts 9.1Amp
Batteries: two 6FM100 batteries connected in series.

any help is much appreciated. thanks.

Power values are ok, but if your UPS have a stepped wave output (not sine wave) you should consider that your fridge may not work properly whit it.

No. It's an in-rush current problem. Anything with a motor or motor like object will not work. This includes, ACs, Fridges, Vacuums. Also Laser Printers won't work because of the Laser's in-rush current needs.

I run fans off my APC UPS. I use a car battery. I put a computer fan on the side of the UPS to keep it from overheating, run it off 12 volt battery connection. It's been doing fine for a long time. It's the only way to survive the tropics when the power goes out. Would love to run the fridge, but fear it would draw the battery down too soon. To run a fridge off batteries will take a lot of battery power, just do the math.

consider a small gasoline operated generator to run the fridge when the commercial power is out.

Fred Wagner

Using any refrigerator on a UPS is a bad Idea. I have had several calls about UPS' overloading due to A fridge or a laser printer being on the output. When the compressor turns on the inrush current shoots up and the UPS cant handle that much current rise.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back