Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Openview Trap Destinations

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoBrakes

Programmer
Dec 5, 2001
US
I am in the middle of consolidating 4 Cisco Wan Manager workstations into one. I have installed CWM and openview on my new Solaris box and it is running fine.
The problem is that I need to consolidate the trapd.conf files from the original boxes into one big one on the new CWM workstation. I also need to keep formatting and forwarding traps to the right ITO management stations based on geographic location. I need to know how to direct traps to a number of different endpoints based on the origin of the trap?
The trapd.conf file will have 4 sections based on regionality, can I specify a forwarding location for each section of trapd.conf?
If anyone has had experience with this and could respond to my post, I would be forever in their debt. Just so you know, I have little to no experience with OpenWound so please be gentle.

NoBrakes, some input to some of your inquiries.....

>>>I also need to keep formatting and forwarding traps to the right ITO management stations based on geographic location. I need to know how to direct traps to a number of different endpoints based on the origin of the trap?<<<

If you are working with multiple ITOs, you can configure message forwarding to send to any ITO you choose. Look at the example template in /etc/opt/OV/share/conf/OpC/mgmt_sv/templ_respmgrs/msgforw
on the ITO server for the syntax. Then once you get your template set the way you want copy it to ../respmgrs/msgforw and use this command to check your template 'opcmomchk -msgforw msgforw'. With message groups in place on ITO you can configure to say any message received from &quot;this place&quot; forward the message to &quot;this server&quot;. Check out the HP VantagePoint Operations for UNIX Administrators(VantagePoint Operations/ITO Operations, they are both synonomous)

>>>The trapd.conf file will have 4 sections based on regionality, can I specify a forwarding location for each section of trapd.conf?<<<

Maybe someone else may be able to better address this one, but I don't think you can specify forwarding from the trapd.conf file. You can use filtering ($OV_CONF/C/filters is an example file) to control what a particular station discovers and have that particular station's messages forwarded to an ITO of your choice. I think you can look in NNM Managing Your Network for filter discussions.

I'm not sure if I helped you out here, but take a look at a few of these things. They may be what you are looking for or you'll become a wealth of knowledge as you research!

(OpenWound...good one :))

***cgainey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back