Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Openserver 5.06 Adaptec 3201 & 29160 slow DAT drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdent

Technical User
Jan 21, 2002
GB
I have an Openserver Mdiacl systems server that is built around and INTEL XEON 1GHZ Server. It Contains a 40GB Ultra 160 Raid 1 HD Array driven by an adaptec 3201 64bit controller. My problem is that i have an HP 40GB DLT in the server that is taking over 14hours to backup approx 10GB of data. We have tried the following configurations.
1) The DLT in the 2nd BUS of the 3201 controller. (dpti)
2) The DLT on the 29160 scsi controller on the motherboard. (ad160)
3) In mkdev tape the scsi version is set to 2 however we have tried it at 1 Just in case.
4) In mkldev tape we have tried it set to generic SCSI & DAT with various levels of SCSI version configured.
5) We have replaced all the tapes with new ones Just in case.
6) HP DLT Replaced with a Tanberg Data DLT of same spec.

The current config is the Tanberg Data DLT connected to the onbard 29160(ad160) controller with new tapes and the scsi version set to 2 & the tape type set to DAT in mkdev tape.

The server has recently been re-setup from scratch with new unix & transferred to the Xeon from an old AMD Athlon unit . In the old Server the Tape backups were fine.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why it is running slowly & how to speed it up.?

Thankyou.

First, just make sure it really is the tape that is at fault with something like

timex dd if=/dev/root of=/dev/rStp0

If the tape is shoe-shining (stopping, starting, stopping, starting), you just can't feed the poor thing fast enough- I've had this problem with these boopies- they need a very fast system feeding them through a very fast controller.

Tony Lawrence
SCO Unix/Linux Resources tony@pcunix.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back