Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Openserver 5.0.7 NETBIOS only one user can authenticate at a time

Status
Not open for further replies.

danzigism

IS-IT--Management
Apr 5, 2009
US
Hey there guys. A client of mine has an old box running OpenServer 5.0.7 for their accounting software that runs on an informix database. Well, in addition to their accounting software, they need to access a share on the server that utilizes the NetBIOS tools. All the clients are using Windows XP Pro. They're just simply trying to map a drive in windows, to a share on the unix box.

The problem is, they all use the same user account to authenticate on the unix box via NetBIOS. As soon as they try to map the drive, Windows requests the username and password. Even though they're all using the same user account, it is apparent that they can only use that account one person at a time. The server does not allow them to authenticate as the same user more than once to access that share.

Please keep in mind this is not using samba. It is using nbd. I've looked in my /etc/default/nbconf for any type of max session parameters, but all those settings in there are correct. I don't know what else it could be.

I appreciate any insight that can be provided! Thanks

just wanted to add that I came across some new information.

when I do a "net config server" it clearly shows that the "Maximum number of logged in users" is set to one. This is the problem. I can't change that parameter.

I've used the scoadmin program to access the network configuration settings in regards to NetBIOS, and there's simply nothing in there that is reflecting this setting. any further insight would be awesome.

Have you looked through the nbconf file?

"/etc/default/nbconf"

I've never run this NetBIOS. Only VisionFS and Samba. Is there some reason you cannot run one of those?

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

To know all the variables you can use in /etc/default/nbconf:
man ADMN netbios

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

hey there PHV, thanks for the advice. With a little more researching I found out the exact problem. This old server runs the "Advanced file and print server" which is ancient compared to Samba. Unfortunately AFPS is based on a per-user license agreement. This server only had ONE license according to lmstat.

Looks like they'll need to buy a 10-pack for $1000 for something that is 10 years old. LOL.

I actually looked through the AFPS event viewer too and was able to find all the failed connection attempts due to the licensing issue. It clearly said "consider buying more licenses"

good times, good times. I really appreciate your quick response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back