Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Openme.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
when i stetr up my computer, a window pops up saying that it couldnt find openme.exe. ever since the window popped up, my computer has been running slower than normal. even my internet connection has slowed down and it is cable. my computer is a AMD 1400mkz with 256mb RAM 40gb hard drive and i am running window 98.
can anyone help me to get my computer running at the same speed?
thanks

You can also get some help on the "general virus discussion group" on TT. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Have you ran disk defragmenter lately?

Anyway, Openme.exe is an XXX dialer which can create a very big phone bill. You can remove it using Ad-aware which is free or do it manually.

Here's manual directions. Just do what you haven't already done. #4 will get rid of the startup error.

1. Go into add/remove programs in the control panel and look for something called WebDialer and uninstall it if it's there. It may or may not be there.

2. Press ctrl + alt + del and 'end task' on openme.exe. Also see if there's something there that looks like 5-2-46-112.exe. If so end task on that too. The numbers may be slightly different but will be similiar if there.

3. Then click start--find--files--and search for openme.exe. When found delete it. Then search for the other file I mentioned if it was listed when you did a ctrl + alt + del and delete that too.

4. Click start--run--type system.ini or sysedit and click ok. In system.ini look for this line near the top:

shell=Explorer.exe openme.exe

Delete ONLY the openme.exe part so that it just says shell=Explorer.exe with nothing typed to the right of it. (Be careful deleting so that you don't start deleting the system.drv line underneath.) Then close system.ini and click yes when prompted to save changes. Then restart and see if the problem is gone.

After restarting go into the Temp folder at c:\windows\temp and delete everything in it. The dialer may have placed some files in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back