Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

openme.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
i get a message after bootup saying something like "openme.exe not found" (the message is actually a little longer). how do i get rid of it? openme.exe is not in any win.ini, or system.ini, or config.sys line. i checked.

Look in the Windows 95/98 forum in the thread titled "openme.exe?? how do I get rid of it?"
Someone posted detailed instructions on how to get rid of it in there...

i did look at that forum. nothing there helped because its not a win9x issue. i tried all the stuff in there

Those instructions should work whether you are running Win98 or W2K... I haven't had the experience personally, but I went back and reread the instructions and can't see why they wouldn't work for different platforms.

If you are running W2K, are you on a network or standalone? Are you logging in with a user account you created or the local Administrator account? Try repeating the steps logged in as a local administrator. Or log in as a local administrator and go into Users in the Control Panel and grant yourself Administrator permissions to that workstation, then try it again... Perhaps that will help.

ill try them again thanks. (and im on a network logged in as administrator.)

also i ran adaware again and found not only registery keys holding info on openme, but it says there's a line in winsys.ini. i couldnt find it in there manually, but it says its there.

1. Go into add/remove programs in the control panel and look for something called WebDialer and uninstall it. (I believe it'll be called WebDialer if it's there)

2. Press ctrl + alt + del and 'end task' on openme.exe. Also see if there's something there that looks like 5-2-46-112.exe. If so end task on that too. The name may be slightly different but it'll be similiar if it's there.

3. Then click start--find--files--and search for openme.exe. When found delete it. Then search for the other file I mentioned if it was listed when you did a ctrl + alt + del and delete that too.

4. Click start--run--type sysedit and click ok. Open the system.ini screen and look for this line near the top:

shell=Explorer.exe openme.exe

Delete ONLY the openme.exe part so that it just says shell=Explorer.exe with nothing typed to the right of it. (Be careful deleting so that you don't start deleting the system.drv line underneath.) Then close system.ini and click yes when prompted to save changes. Then restart and see if the problem is gone. Let us know.

After restarting go into the Temp folder at c:\windows\temp and delete everything in it. The dialer may have placed some files in there Eng.Mohamed Farid
Cisco Certified Network Associated ,,
Building Cisco Remote Access Network Certified ,,
Routing Cisoc Networks Certified ,,
Switching Networks Cisco Certified ,,

Netwalker1, thanks, tbut those are the same instructions posted on the other thread we referenced above...

StoneViper... how many keys did it find holding info on Openme... Can you list them specifically?

sorry , I sent them without seeing the 2 posted ! Eng.Mohamed Farid
Cisco Certified Network Associated ,,
Building Cisco Remote Access Network Certified ,,
Routing Cisoc Networks Certified ,,
Switching Networks Cisco Certified ,,

ad-aware found 1 line in---
WinSys.ini[boot]Shell=explorer.exe OpenMe.exe

it also found 1 key---
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/Current Version/Winlogin/SHELL:Explorer.exe openme.exe

i found the key, but do i modify it by taking out the " openme.exe" part of it? and if so, where do i find the winsys.ini? its not in "sysedit"

there is no line in system.ini showing openme.exe

Well there is another one out..called Li-speed00.exe. It is a variant of the group. It will not allow deletion of files in dos or Windows. When deletion is tried, it renames. Any one had any dealings with this dude?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back