Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opening Word Template 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

VBCOOP

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
I am using Frontpage to create a Hyperlink to a file, namely a Word Template (.dot) - how do I get IE to open Word and not simply open the template document within IE. At the moment the Hyperlink simply opens the .dot file rather than opening Word and creating a Document1.doc. Previous threads have responded with changing Server MIME types but this doesn't seem appropriate, I'm looking for HTML to do this.[gorgeous]

I think the previous posts are likely to be correct, as the browser needs to know which content type it is being given. It is then up to the individual machine to determine what to do with it.

You may need to toggle one of the MIME settings such as 'Open after Download' - see

VBCOOP said:
Previous threads have responded with changing Server MIME types but this doesn't seem appropriate, I'm looking for HTML to do this.

You cannot do this in HTML. HTML has no built-in scripting ability - it is effectively a set of commands that control layout.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Thanks for your help, have found the solution on Microsoft site which holds the info as a known error/problem. The solution is to point the hyperlink at a shortcut that then opens the .dot template. It carefully notes that you must not use the 'Browse' button to select this shortcut as Frontpage will resolve this redirection as the full path of the template file and so produce the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back