Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opening or Saving from BOXI 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

kray4660

MIS
Apr 7, 2008
US
We are in the process of moving to BOXI 4. We just have BOXI 4 re-installed by a third party consultant, but we have run into an issue.

I am unable to open a Crystal Report from Crystal Report Developer (2008 or 2011) that resides on BOXI 4. I am getting the following message: Unable to log on: Could not connect to server (server):6400. Please check that the server name is correct, and that the server is running.

The server is up and services are running. I am an administrator so there should not be an rights issue. We are currently running a BOXI 3.1 installation and not having any issues.

We had made the assumption that port 6400 was open, but it is not. I am sure once it is opened it will fix our issue.

I don't think Crystal 2008 will connect to BOXI 4.0 but 2011 should. You may need more than port 6400 open as well. Port 6400 is the port for sending messages to the CMS, but all of the other server processes in BO will use different ports. There's a special way the BO has to be set up when working through a firewall that has ports blocked - each of the processes and the SIA have to use specified ports and ALL of those ports have to be open. If you don't specify ports then there are (I believe) a couple hundred ports that have to be open - they're kind of randomized.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

We are trying to remember what ports we had opened before. We had installed BOXI 4 on another server, but when the server staff increased our memory, they moved us to another virtual server and we lost everything (not a production box). So we are starting from scratch.

Hey kray were you able to resolve the issue? I am running with somewhat similar issue.

I am on the same box as business objects, so technically all port connection seems to be open and
business object enterprise runs on 6400 port.
I was successfully able to connect to BO using web intelligence, however unable to do so with crystal report for enterprise XI.
help plz.

Once we got the port(s) opened everything is working. We have a number of security hoops we have to go through. Especially trying to connect to some of the data sources.

If is still applies ( haven't used 4 ), the most vexing thing about BOE in a firewalled/Network environment is its default behavior of assigning random port #s for returning info/data instead of using the 6400 initial connection port.
We had to set up special server handling in our DMZ for handling outside ( of our Intranet) users.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back