Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opening Mailbox 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tazzie

MIS
Apr 22, 1999
US
I have 4 users who are having a problem opening their Notes mailbox. When they try to open the mailbox with a double click the workstation hangs. However, I can open their mailbox from my workstation (using the double click) and if I try and open my mailbox from their workstation the system hangs. The weird part is that if I use the GO TO command, I am able to open the mailbox. All 4 users are on different servers and the problem occurred on the same morning. I have tried reloading the Notes Client, using a new DESKTOP.DSK file, a new CACHE.DSK file. I even ran the offending system through a up-to-date virus checker. And finally, the Notes KnowledgeBase noted possible problems with Video Drivers or Sound Board conflicts. No conflicts on these pc's. I would love to run FIXUP against the mailbox, but unfortunately I don't have access to the server. HELP, this problem is driving me CRAZY!

I most certainly don't mean to over simplify things, however, you may want to check to make sure that in the User's Preferences, they have selected the proper protocol for the server where the mail boxes exist. If you're running on an TCP/IP server, maker certaint that TCP/IP is selected in their 'current locations' document. Also, you may try running a Trace Connection from File\Tools\User Preferences\Ports\ on the proper protocol.<br>
<br>
Good luck,<br>
jbl

Is there a difference in the versions of notes that the users have their mail files in? Also, is there a difference between the client versions as well as the server version...

To DP4000.... I am able to connect to the server. I can use the Go To command to access the mailbox. I think the problem could be the header information of the mailbox in question. <br>
<br>
To RishiShah.... The server and clients are all running 4.52. This in itself could explain the problem. I am being to get very frustrated with this version.

Have you tried a complete uninstall of the client rather than a re-install. I doubt that your prob is mailbox related. It sounds like a definite client problem. I've found that installing an old version of the client and then upgrading to the present client can sometimes do the job aswell.<br>
<br>
Good luck.

TAZZIE, <br>
<br>
Sorry for the long delay in responding. I almost forgot I joined this thing. <br>
<br>
Anyway, I think you may have misunderstood my point. <br>
<br>
What you should look at, if you haven't already, on the offending workstations pull-down menu:<br>
<br>
'File\Mobile\Edit Current Location'<br>
<br>
Make certain that the line that reads PORTS includes the 'proper' protocol you are using on your network.<br>
<br>
For example, I use both TCP/IP and SPX on my network so I have an 'X' next to TCP/IP and SPX. Also, make certain that they are in the proper search order. For instance, if you have TCP/IP activated on a particular server that houses the offending workstations' mail box, you would want TCP/IP to appear first. If the order is incorrect, you can change this in:<br>
<br>
'File\Tools\User Preferences\' click the 'Ports' icon<br>
<br>
Remember, I'm not sure how advanced a user you are so, if this seems to be an oversimplified post, my intent is not to insult your intelligence, moreover just to lend a helping hand. #8)<br>
<br>
DP4K

Is the client OS running NT , 95 or OS/2? Because the OS/2 version of Lotus Notes have some bugs. You might want to contact Lotus support.

To DP4000 - First let me say that you have not insulted my intelligence. I appreciate all of your suggestions. Lord knows how many times that I have toiled with a problem and someone comes along and points out the something that has been right in front of my face ! :&gt;) Anyway, we are using only one port, TCPIP. I even used the TRACE command to successfully trace a connection to the server. I can also use the GO TO command from the drop down menu that appears when you right click on the database to open the database. I just can't use the traditional double click to open the database. Do you think it could be a corrupted DLL? Un-installing and re-installing the software does not help. <br>
<br>
To LNA - We are using the Notes 4.52 on desktops that are running Windows 95. <br>
<br>
<br>
Tazzie :&gt;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back