Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opening links with IE using Netscape Messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

carmo

MIS
Dec 15, 2002
CA
My default internet browser is Internet Explorer, but my e-mail client is Netscape messenger. When I put a hyperlink in a Nescape e-mail, clicking the hyperlink will open the URL in Netscape Navigator instead of Internet Explorer. Is there anyway to open the link with IE?

To be certain that I am understanding you:
• Internet Explorer is your default browser
• You want Internet Explorer to open when clicking on a link in Netscape Mail

If that is it, then you can add this script to the bottom of the prefs.js file, making it the last line.
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.external.http", true);

To open the prefs.js file:
Start | Programs | Accessories | Notepad
Click on: File | Open
Navigate to the prefs.js file

Your prefs.js file will be located here:
C:\Program Files\Netscape\Users\username

Ensure that Netscape is closed when you edit prefs.js. Back up the file before editing, or better yet, the entire Users folder.

hth

Hi ltech and thank you in advance for submitting such a useful tip that I have long searched for. I just tried it and it works well, with one minor bug. I do not know how to write .js file code or reference it, so I was hoping you knew of the bug I am having with Netscape reagrding trick you provided(netscape ver 7.0 under winXP pro sp1 all updates done).

Here is the problem:
I observed that when clicking on e-mails received that have ads in them, such as auto generated e-mails from ebay when an auction closes or such, before anything happens other than my click on the subject line, 3 quick clicks are emitted from the speakers as if I just tried to quickly open 3 diff links consecutively and some of the ad's from within the e-mail are automatically launched in IE, looking like pictures in an html page. This seems to only happen with ad e-mails, it works fine for all other type of e-mails with text or graphics.

Can you provide a solution (if you are aware of one) or a link to learn more about js scripts, as solving this small bug will truly make using Netscape Mail a pleasurable daily experience for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back