Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opening Files in Powerpoint

Status
Not open for further replies.

slimco

MIS
Jun 30, 2003
US
There is a user here at my work place that is having trouble opening up a powerpoint presentation. If the user receives an email with a ppt file or wants to open an existing file, the file will not open in powerpoint. The user will click on the file and powerpoint will open, but the presentation doesn't open, it comes up with create a new presenation or open an existing presentation. He has to choose to open an existing file, even though he had just clicked on the file he wants to open. Anyone have any ideas of a way to fix this problem?

Thanks

It sounds like the filetype entry for a PPT file is wrong. Go into the filetype and make sure that under the "&Open" entry it lists something like this:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\POWERPNT.EXE" "%1"

The %1 part tells powerpoint to open the file clicked. You could also open powerpoint normally and disable the opening screen, asking what he wants to do. That opening screen may be stopping the file from opening. Hope this helps.

Where do I have to go to change the filetype. I don't know where the filetype is and I do see anything that says "&Open".

MMSantiago{/b] is referring you to:

Open Windows Explorer, select View > Folder Options > File Types > scroll down to Microsoft PopwerPoint presentation > select it > select Edit > in the Actions box, make sure there is an entry for Open > if it is not there, add it by selecting New > if it is, select it and make sure that "&Open" (without the quotes is in the action box and that "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\PowerPnt.exe" "%1" (or the appropriate path to your PowerPoint) is in the Application to perform this action box.

Slimco,

We have a similar problem with files when users receive attachments using GroupWise. Our situation is that the default setting in the Enviroments of GW is View the Attachment. That needs to be changed to Open the Attachment.

The offending files cannot be opened so they can be saved to the target folder on the server, so folks get frustrated. Changing the Environment setting solved the problem for us.

Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back