Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opening file in Excel 97 in Win2k says file already open

Status
Not open for further replies.

cathyrt

IS-IT--Management
May 9, 2001
US
I have several Windows 2000 computers that are doing the same thing. If you open Excel97, then try to open a spreadsheet, it will tell you that another file by the same name is open, but it isn't. You can close the error message and the file will open anyway. These computers have Win2kSP2, and Excel (Office 97) SR2. They are on a Novell 4.11 network, but Excel and the files are located on the HDD. Does anyone know of a fix?

Will you please provide more detail?

Exact wording of the error would be nice.

Thanks.

The message is titled &quot;Microsoft Excel&quot; and says, &quot;A document with the name '[filename].xls' is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name, even if the documents are in different folders. To open the second document, either close the document that's currently open, or rename one of the documents. <ok>.&quot;
Curiously, I only get this message when opening a file from the My Documents folder or Windows Explorer. Opening from within Excel doesn't give the error. However, I can open Word documents and other Office files from My Documents without an error, so it doesn't affect the entire Office suite.

I have the same problem under windows XP. It affects Word and Excel on my computer. Cathy, did you ever find a fix for this? Has anyone else?

I have fixed this in the past by unregistering and then re-registering Excel

Go to Start --> Run and execute &quot;excel /unregserver&quot; (no quotes) and then &quot;excel /regserver&quot;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back