Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opening file in Excel 97 in Win2k says file already open

Status
Not open for further replies.

cathyrt

IS-IT--Management
May 9, 2001
US
I have several Windows 2000 computers that are doing the same thing. If you open Excel97, then try to open a spreadsheet, it will tell you that another file by the same name is open, but it isn't. You can close the error message and the file will open anyway. These computers have Win2kSP2, and Excel (Office 97) SR2. They are on a Novell 4.11 network, but Excel and the files are located on the HDD. Does anyone know of a fix?

There are several Novell TIDs on this 1005533, 10017333, 2917432 all relating to how Excel (and Word) save files on a drive.

I am working at a place which has had a similar problem. One of the fixes is to open Excel go to Tools>Options>General and uncheck the "ignore other applications" box. This box controls the DDE that was used by Excel to enable the spreadsheet to be used in Word. Windows 2000 uses OLE instead and this conflict was causing saving problems. It has not solved all of the problems, but users can now use Excel to open saved documents, change and save them through Excel. We are still having a few problems with users being able to open, save and change documents directly from the network drive.

I looked at the TIDs, but they didn't really apply. The files I am trying to open reside on the hard drive, not the server. I looked in options and the &quot;ignore other applications&quot; box was unchecked. I tried checking it and got an entirely different error saying, &quot;Cannot find the file '[c:\documents and settings\user\my documents\[filename].xls' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available. <ok>&quot; This seemed worse than the original error so I unchecked the box again. The original error was titled &quot;Microsoft Excel&quot; and said, &quot;A document with the name '[filename].xls' is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name, even if the documents are in different folders. To open the second document, either close the document that's currently open, or rename one of the documents. <ok>&quot; In either case, the document ultimately opens and I am able to save it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back