Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

opening file error message 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmeryDaly

Technical User
Jul 20, 2001
US
When I attempt to open a file by double clicking I get the following error message "Could not complete your request because file could not be found"
If I open PhotoShop I can open the file by using the open command. This error just started recently and applies to all types of file such as jpg and tif. I checked through Explorer and PhotoShop is "assigned" to open the files types desired. Any ideas?

You have cheeked out Explorer. Perhaps there are more than one references to Jpg in Explorer than the one you have looked on?

Remember to be careful doing this. First time I did this, I was acting like an elephant in a glass shop and my brother had to teach me something.. Darn.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately it didn't work. I rechecked through Explorer and PhotoShop is the only program associated with jpg and tif files. Any other ideas out there?

re-associate the file with another app. like quicktime picture viewer or something and see if that app will open it. If it does, associate it back. Also, make sure you have the latest Photoshop patch from If it doesnt open, the file in question may be corrupt. At this point, look for any upgrades for your version of windows at If that doesnt fix it, un-install photoshop (backup your settings first) and re-install it. If your still hurting you may have to do a repair install of windows but hopefully someone else will suggest something less drastic.

JAQUAN
Thanks very much for your helpful tip. As you suggested I re-associated TIF with another application which I found worked properly. I then asscoiated TIF back to PhotoShop and found that it now works correctly. Even though I did not perform this process for jpg files I now find that they work OK also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back