Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opening Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdy

Technical User
Oct 9, 2002
US
I have a Sony RX-860 P4 Desktop with three hard drives and 512mb of ram. When I click on “my computer” to access my drives, it takes between 3-5 minutes to open. During this period I do not have any other programs running and my hard drives are not even close to full. I have not installed any new hardware or software that I can think of. I also find that when I need to save projects in Photoshop or Illustrator, when I click on "save in", it also takes a lengthy period of time to open.

This is becoming a very irritating issue. I hope that someone can help me with my problem. Thanks.

Are all your HDD's alike? Is your IDE cable the correct kind for those types of hard disk drive?

I'm not an expert on cabling but I had exactly the same issue at a client's site 2 months ago. I changed the cable linking the drives together and the problem was solved.

From a purely troubleshooting standpoint, disconnect all drives apart from the system drive and try again. If you have a spare IDE cable kicking about, give that a try too.

I'd be interested to hear anyone else's suggestion on the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back