Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

opening database 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

frl

Technical User
Jul 28, 2003
US
Hi,
I am new to domino administration. I have a following question. We have two domino 5.0.12 servers. We put a replica of one database to the other server under the same name for a folder: \notes\data\GS.
The problem is users cannot see this new folder when they select Databse-->Open. They just see other folders and not the new one in the open database window.How can I put the new folder in the list?

Thanks in advance

Are you sure that the new replica has the "List in Open DB dialog" checked ?

Pascal.

Yes it has check for both list in database catalog and show in open database dialog.
I administer this server remotly as it is in distant location. When I log on to server remotly I can see the new folder in the open dialog window if i try to open it on the server (with administrator).
But I can not open it if I try to open the database from my computer&Lotus Notes. When I write the server name in the server window, then I get just the list of DB and folder without the new folder.

It may sound stupid, but I suspect that this is a case of restarting the Domino server.

Pascal.

Thanks Pascal,
you were right. I restarted the Domino server and it works now.
Can I ask you one other thing. I am responsible for this remote server for a short time (I didnt install it) and I am learning Domino on the fly as I worked with Exchange before.
When I run a "load notes" command on this remote server it starts just the Welcome page without Workspace, buttons for replicator.... So I have problems working there. I use mostly console commands that I learned.
When I run "load notes" command on our server here it works and I have workspace and can check replicator for database replication, etc...
This is probably just some silly thing,probably the notes are not set right, but still I am new to Domino so it confuses me.

Thanks in advance

A Domino server does not necessarily have to be installed with the client.
In fact, R5 was notorious for not liking the client on the same machine.
It is therefor possible that the remote machine does not have any client, in which case either you install it, or you use the administrator client you should have and manage remotely. Or, with a bit of luck, you can activate the necessary parameters and administer the remote server via browser.
I am not an admin though, just a developer, so I can't really counsel you on how to go about this.

Good luck !

Pascal.

Thanks a lot,

I have a administrator client and will consider installing the client on the server.

Just be careful where you install the client on the server. You may want it in another directory. One reason for not putting the client on the server is for security reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back