Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opening attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfgu

IS-IT--Management
Oct 25, 2001
US
I'm having trouble openeing up attachements in outlook.. It says that file is not found.. Say I get a microsoft word attachement.. I double click on it.. and microsoft word opens.. but then it says file not found.. BUT.. if I open up microsoft word first.. the double click on the attachment.. then everything opens up.. Please .. any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks..

Does it happen with all Word files or just some? Word will sometimes attempt to open a file for handling which you have no registered programs. Try opening the same email on different computer to see if it's a local problem.

I've seen this before with a user here, and found that the properties for the ".doc" filetype had somehow been corrupted.

Try going into Windows Explorer and then "View" "Folder Options" and "File Types"

Look for the "Microsoft Word Document" entry, and check the settings for the "Open" action. If I remember correctly I sorted this out by copying these properties from another PC (making sure that the path does indeed point to the WINWORD.EXE file)

Hope this helps

Robert

Oh - I nearly forgot, check that "Open" is the default action for this type of file.

Robert

I tried that.. and everything seems to be right.. and it should point to winword.exe i believe.. cuz all my other workstations also point to winword.exe /n...
this is the exact message i'm recieving..

Cannot find the file "c:\blah blah.doc"(or one of its components. Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available....

The strange thing is.. if i open word first.. then double click on the attachment in my outlook.. then it'll open..
very strange...

Please help..

thanks..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back