Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opening an .mpeg video 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepBlerg

Technical User
Jan 13, 2001
AU
Hi,

How do I open an mpg video in Windows Media Player by pressing a button on my flash movie.

I tried: getURL ("movie.mpg");

But that opens it in a browser. Can it be opened independantly?

Thanks in advance.

Online or local?

Regards,
new.gif

Try it with FSCommand:

on(press){
fscommand ("exec", "wmplayer" + chr(9) + "movie.mpg");
}

wmplayer.exe is the name of my current Windows Media Player, replace it with your's and without the .exe extension.
Should work fine if your player is intalled in the c:/windows folder.

This also won't work from the Flash application itself. Check your .swf on it's own!

Regards,
And might I be blessed with your vote!
new.gif

I voted fot you Oldnewbie. I don't know when but I know that'll come in handy for me one of these days. ;)
Cheers,
Frank

Hey oldnewbie,

Just wondering is there a way to open it without specifying a player and just uses the default media player. What I'm doing is putting these on Cd's and so some peoples default player wont be wmplayer.

Thanks again.

Why not make a button for Windows Media Player and a button for QuickTime or whatever players you feel will be a possibility and let the user choose his preference. If anyone is like me... I use several different ones depending on the day and the application... might be nice having a choice.

Just a thought...;-) Regards,
TulsaJeff

cd_tektips.gif

There is one way, but it opens an annoying does window for a second or so before opening the requested file.

You can try:
on(press){
fscommand ("exec", "start" + chr(9) + "movie.mpg");
}

Regards,
new.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back