Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opening a DB SLOW for some

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronifly

Technical User
Jul 31, 2006
US
I am seriously puzzled -
We have one DB (120MB) on the Domino server that I can access very quickly, on the other hand there are a few users that are accessing the same DB from within the same office I am in and there access time is terribly slow....really slow.
-The server as well as all client are on ver. 6.5.5.
-I am on 100MB connection to switch, slow user on 1GB.
-Same results when trying to access same DB on alternate location.
-I switch to my notes ID from slow system and I can access DB very quickly. Switch back to original user and access is slow.
-I uninstalled notes client, removed notes folder, reinstalled......same results....slow.
-I ran an updall, compact and fixup against this DB but same result, I access it quickly, other user is terribly slow.
-Both systems that are accessing this DB are same in HW.

What could possibly create this environment?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Puzzled and out of ideas.

Are you sure you both access the same set of documents ?
Is the slow user running other apps in background ?
Have you measured the network activity that his PC is generating/recieving ?
Is his PC safe from spyware/snoopware/malware ?
Is the server lagging when slow user logs on, or is it fine for all others regardless of who else is accessing ?
Do you have server load stats to check on ?

Pascal.

I've got nothing to hide, and I'd very much like to keep that away from prying eyes.

Sometimes on an individuals client their cache.dsk in the data directory has reached its maximum size. This can be increased in the Workspace properties. You will need to remove the existing Cache.dsk file from the Data directory and restart Notes. The user will then access the database (but it may be slow the first time the user accesses the Db as design elements are added to the cache file)

Try to check the PORT settings on the slow machine. The more active port, the more the chanse for slow(er) access...

Brgds,

TrooDOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back