Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opening a .BTR File

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmerf

MIS
Oct 4, 2002
US
One of my users was sent a .btr file from a customer which contains a price file that is essential that we have. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I have the software to open it.

Our company has Microsoft products, i.e. Access, and I can't seem to open the file using that.

Is there a way I can retrieve the data from this file using Access, or Crystal Reports, or is there a tool out there that will allow me to open the file and create a .txt file out of it? Something free preferably.

Any help would be great!!!

Thanks!

For starters you will need the Pervasive Btrieve drivers. Then you will need the DDF files as these describe the file layout and are required by Crystal or ODBC. If you do not have the Pervasive drivers you can download a trial at If you do not have the DDF files you may contact the customer to see if they have them. If they do not then you will need to build them if you want to use any 3-rd party products. You can use BtSearch at to help you analzye the structure and build the files if you do not have them. It will also export to dbase or ascii formats.

Gil

Access can read btrieve tables ONLY if there are data definitions available, or .DDF's in btrieve parlance. If you don't have these ddf's, you'll need to create them from scratch with either a 3rd party tool or download pervasive's products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back