Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OpenCOBOL on Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Member 310024

I have moved from Windows to Mac and one of the things I miss is having a COBOL compiler.
I have just discovered a product called OpenCOBOL which can be used on Mac.
My enquiry is basically wanting to find out if there is much interest on this site,
regarding OpenCOBOL on Mac.
I haven't started with OpenCOBOL yet, but I would guess that there is a lot of things
I would have to learn about using COBOL on the Mac ( as opposed to PC ).
Comments invited.

Thanks for your response papadba.
The referenced site contains some good information for people that are still finding their way with COBOL itself.
My search is more for knowledge and experience with the externalities of the Mac OSX environment and the way that they impact the COBOL system and vice versa.
For example, in the SELECT/ASSIGN statements, CALLing subprograms, CALLing operating system functions and recommended text editors ( & I do mean text editors rather than IDE's which I find counter productive ).
I know that there probably would not be that many people world wide that would be interested in MAC COBOL but I was just putting out 'feelers' just in case I might be pleasantly surprised.
I'd thought I'd learnt my lesson ( many times ), on doing 'bleeding edge' things but old habits die hard I suppose.[/color]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back