Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

open/vms console type

Status
Not open for further replies.

markwz

MIS
Nov 28, 2001
US
While I am most familiar with IBM AIX, we are now tasked with assisting with the setup of a VMS system, turn-key by a outside application vendor. We are replacing an aging VMS server that currently supports this applicaton with a new one.

I want to add a VGA adapter (which IS supported by HP) to the new system and allow it to attach to our existing KVM switch setup.

Question: What terminal 'type' does the native graphic / keyboard console present itself to the applications?

Their application expects to have a VT100 serial terminal as its support function.

When I asked the application sales staff about the addition of the VGA card, they stated that they did not use a graphic console and that I would need VT100 emulation for it to work. I know that their application is character based, and uses the VT100 symbol set to draw lines, etc..

Help on this question would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Whetzel
Harris County Hospital District
mark_whetzel at hchd dot tmc dot edu

When booting, VMS will probably see your VGA tube as a big glass TTY. Although, if DECwindow gets installed, it may switch to an X type display.

You may get better/more answers to your question if you post it on the USEnet newsgroup comp.os.vms or on
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back