Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open Unix Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig322

MIS
Apr 19, 2001
US
We had a problem yesterday where we exceeded the number of files allowed to be open by the kernel parameter NFILES. We got around this by increasing this setting.

Doing some additional investigations, I noticed that we had some oninit processes with upward of 300 open files. Can someone explain to me what this may consist of? I am being questioned by our unix admin group. I am making the assumption that some of this is data chunks. We have 267 chunks so I guess it is feasible that some of these processes have multiple chunks. Are there other files that are routinely held open by oninit processes (sqlhosts, etc)?

Thanks in advance

the only thing i know of in this context is temporary files, i.e. when they are written to disk instead of temporary table space, if you do not use "with no log" for example.

as far as i know informix recommends NFILES to be set to at least 400

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back