Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

open two inboxes 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

prha

Technical User
May 24, 2002
GB
Does anyone know how I can open another users inbox in outlook 2000 so that the inbox is displayed in my folder list.
I need to have my own emails and also the inbox from a generic email that I have set up (info@ etc)
I have given myself permissions to view it and can access it by going to file/open/other users mailbox. But is there a way where the inbox will appear all the time in my folder list?

many thanks

First thing you need to do is have the other person give you access to their inbox. Here is what you need to do:

(From the person inbox you need to view)
(Note that you need to login to this persons email first and do the below steps)
(1) Login to their outlook
(2) From the folder list view, at the top of the list
you will see "Outlook Today". Right click on this,
and select properties. Add yourself to the permissions
and give yourself a role permission that will allow
you to create subfolders (Editor role should be good)
(3) Right click on their "Inbox" and select "properties"
(Do the same function as step 2 by adding yourself
to the permissions)
(4) Logout of outlook
(From your outlook profile)
(1) Login to your outlook email
(2) Click on Tools==>services==>Exchange Server(click on
properties with Exchange Server highlighted)==>Click on
the "Advanced" tab"==>click on "Add"==>Add the mailbox
of the person's inbox you need to view
(3) Click "ok"

* You should now be able to view this person's inbox from your folder list. You may have to exit outlook and log back in but you should now be able to manage this persons inbox.

Yes, with Outlook closed > Right Click on the Outlook Icon or go to control panel open Mail properties > Highlight Microsoft Exchange Server > Click Properties > Go to the Advanced tab > Under Mailboxes theres a box "Open these additional Mailboxes" > Click Add and add the mailbox you wish to open. Now wehen you open Outlook you will notice another Folder called Mailbox - XXXXXXXX. Hope this helps.

thanks for the advice, worked a treat!

Just to add to this, you can set the permissions to view the other mailbox through Exchange administrator too.

To do it, go into the properties of the generic mailbox, click on permissions and add yourself as a user.

There can be a downside to this whe using this method with users though, as it will give the user full access to the mailbox. If you only want someone to have access to specific containers in the mailbox (inbox and calendar only for example), then you should go through Outlook like Zoey suggested. If someone annoys you, walk a mile in their shoes. That way you'll be a mile away from them, and you'll have their shoes :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back