Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open tape format in Networker 6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoshiachNow

IS-IT--Management
Feb 6, 2002
IL
HI,

Is Open Tape Format (OTF) supported on Networker 6.02 ?
If yes - does it mean that the data written on an AIT drive on AIX format will be readable on NT ? "Long live king Moshiach !"
h

It should still be the case, you should still be able to read versoin 5 tapes (via scanner if needed).
I've done the later and that worked, I don't have AIX, so can't confirm that.

Hi!

Yes you can read all tapes written by networker on any OS that supports networker. The open tape format is the same on all platforms. Even next networker release 7.0 will have open tape format if i´m not wrong informed.
Althoug you cant do cross OS recover that is you can read index with scanner but you will not bee able to recover files written on unix to a NT(or different OS)box.

/Ulf

Thanks,
However I fail to get the point:

"...Yes you can read all tapes written by networker on any OS that supports networker..."

"...you will not bee able to recover files written on unix to a NT(or different OS)box..."

My need is to recover all files written on a Unix machine onto an NT machine - will this work ?

"Long live king Moshiach !"
h

Hi!

Ok now I understand. I have seen som info on this but I cant find it now. I will get back to you if I find it.
What unix OS r u running?

/Ulf

LevW

No, networker will not allow you to do cross platform recovers. You can recover Windows to Windows and Unix to Unix. But you can not recover Windows to Unix or Unix to windows. If you could the data would loose all of its ownership and permissions information and it is also possible that the data may not be usable due to the way Windoww/Unix handles data recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back