Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

open SUSE installed- no GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tearose

IS-IT--Management
Jan 12, 2005
US
I installed openSUSE on a laptop. When I logged in I got a nice design in green, but that's all. There's nothing to click on. All I can do is shut it off with the on button. So what do I need to do next to get a user interface and software?
(I'm a total newbie to Linux, so I need details.)
TIA
Jill

I tried logging in as 'root' and got the GUI, so I'm fine till I need to log in as someone else. I can't really see where to set up other users. How do I do that? Thanks,
Jill

I am not familiar with openSuse, so things might look different on your system.

You should (I think) have a menu somewhere. Does it not have a "system" or "administration" menu? And if the menu is not there, Does a right click on the desktop help to get it?

If you can open a shell ("command prompt"), you can use the adduser command. type
Code:
man adduser
to see the options. After creating a user, you should create a password with the passwd command (again, "man passwd" shows the manual entry for this command). But is there no "getting started" documentation on the suse site?

Finally: the command for bringing the system down in a controlled fashion from the shell is "shutdown -h now".

As you see in this series of screenshots, The Suse install
is a two part prosess.
First the basic system install, then a reboot, and then
you set up a root account and the normal users on the system.
After that you can log into the system as eighter users.

Dont you get the last screen shown it the series
when you log in as a normal user, only when you'r root?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back